Saturday, July 15, 2017

The Art of Aging

It may seemed funny to write an article about the Art of Aging. Some may say art? What art? You get old, feeble, lose your ability to take care of yourself and then you die. There's no art to it! But they are wrong. Sure all those things are going to happen if you live long enough. But it's how you face the challenges of aging that become an art. Like all form of art some of us are pretty good artist and some of us aren't. But with a little practice all of us can put some Art into our Aging.

So what do I mean by the Art of Aging? Quite simply it's this. Despite all the physical, mental, financial challenges aging can be a time of renewal. Aging as an Art to me means putting on a smile and facing the day with optimism despite an aching back. It's dressing with a little flare of style. It's having the wisdom to know that all things eventually pass: a rainy day, a headache, bad news, politicians, life itself. It's living in the moment and embracing life with all it's troubles, challenges and joys.

Here are some things that I use to put some art into my aging.

1. Have a sense of humor. Sometimes putting on a smile is the hardest thing I do. But as we all know it takes more muscles to smile than to frown.

2. Have a sense of  style. Remember when we all had to dress for success? Well being retired and old is no excuse to wearing old worn out clothes. Sure I have a pair of faded jeans and a favorite T Shirt. But I pair them with a nice belt, watch & sneakers or dockers. If money is tight visit the thrift shops. My wife and I usually stop by our favorite thrift shop every couple of weeks and usually find some nice brand name clothes and sometimes even brand new items.

3. If you're a man wear a fedora. Instead of a ball cap. Men's hats are making a big come back and a nice hat really adds to your style. If your a woman wear a red hat or something with color.

4. Get fit! Being in shape at any age helps you face the physical challenges of aging, improves your mood and makes you look younger.

5. Become an interesting person. Read some of the classics, start a hobby, buy a Harley or the cra of your dreams. I bought a 2007 Jaguar S Type for my 70th birthday. It's British Racing Green, low mileage and in perfect condition. It only cost me $8500 dollars far less than a new car. But I love it as soon as I get inside and turn the key I feel like a million bucks!

6. Volunteer: Find a cause you believe in and volunteer. Every organization needs volunteers and getting involved gets you out of the house and meeting different people.

7. Socialize: Get up off your couch and go out and meet people. Join a club, join a senior center, church, etc expand your circle of friends.

Most of all have fun! This can be your Golden Age despite all the challenges of aging. Practice the Art of Aging and thrive!

No comments:

Post a Comment