Tuesday, February 28, 2017

Be Your Own Gym!

I live less than 10 minutes from a health club. Plus being retired I can go whenever I want. Still the idea of having to gather up my workout clothes, get in the car, drive to the gym, change my clothes, exercise, shower, change back into my street clothes and drive back home seems like such a waste of time. Especially when I know that I have everything here at home to be my own gym. Besides the time spent going back in forth could be better spent doing my H.I.T Program. More on this in a later post.

Sure I know what you're thinking. The guys to cheap to pay for a gym membership. Well I am fugal but I really don't need a health club to build functional strength. Don't get me wrong gym and health clubs are great! Plenty of equipment, professional advice and people to interact and motivate. But I'd like to offer you an alternative. Be your own gym.

Now just want do I mean "Be your own gym.". Well for starters you have everything you need to get a great workout at home. Remember the last post when I told you are a Joe Weider muscle building program I followed fifty plus years ago? Well besides doing the usual jumping jacks and pushups, his instructors had us doing a variety of exercises using a wooden kitchen chair a beach towel and a broom handle. That's right you probably have all these things in your home, know need to order the latest "Thigh  Master" from QVC.

Most of the functional strength exercises only require your own body weight, not some fancy and expensive machine that will probably end up as a clothes rack or a Goodwill donation.

I have an added bonus. I live right behind an elementary school. So when schools out I can go over and do incline pushups on the bike rack or pullups on the jungle gym.

See you don't need a health club you have your own gym, your body, a few everyday home items and the great outdoors. Now what's your excuse?

2 comments:

  1. I agree that you can get just as good a workout (if not better) on your own without the need for an expensive gym or fitness club.

    Have you tried yoga and pilates? Both are great for increasing strength and flexibility by using your own body weight. And both can be done at home too.

    There are some good online yoga and pilates exercise classes online nowadays. Some for a subscription fee but others are free on YouTube or sites like Fitness Blender.

    Keep up the active lifestyle!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the comment. Yoga & Plates are great exercises and you're right there are many excellent videos online.

    ReplyDelete