Monday, January 16, 2017

Aging With Style

Okay you have reached another milestone. You've retired and at long last there's no more rush hour commute, endless boring meetings and/or Monday morning blues. The challenges and stress you dealt with during your long career are over, but a new challenge awaits. How do you age with style?

I'm sure that if you're reading this blog and others on the topic of aging you have a desire to make your retirement everything it can be and more. Maybe you have a bucket list and/or projects you have been putting off for years. Maybe you want to get in shape or learn how to play chess. One thing you don't want is to spend the rest of your days sitting in a recliner eating Doritos and watching the boob tube.

So what do I mean by "Aging with Style". Sounds intriguing doesn't it. Well Aging with Style can mean different things to different people, but to me it means being a physically fit, well groomed person with the ability to carry on an intelligent conversation on a number of topics. In other words a "Gentlemen".

Now this may seem old fashion, but hear me out. We as a society in my opinion have fallen away from what use to be called good manners. Look at pictures from the 1920's - the early 50's in those days most men when they went out were well groomed usually wearing a jacket, tie & a hat. Last week I was in a store behind a man about my age who was wearing pajama bottoms! Really!

Okay some would defend the wearing of PJ's in public. After all he has the right to wear anything he wants or maybe he can't afford a pair of pants. That maybe, but there are two thrift shops in town wearing you can buy a decent pair of pants for $5.00 and once a month they have a bag sale wear you can stuff a bag $2.00. I know because I shop these stores.

Remember the saying: "The clothes make the man?" Something to think about. I know that if I walked around in my PJ's not only would I feel crummy, I bet other people would treat me different that if I walked around in a clean pair of chinos and a decent shirt.

I have more to say about Aging in Style in the next post. Hopefully I can convince you not to wear your PJ's in public.

No comments:

Post a Comment