Friday, March 4, 2016

BUILDING MUSCLE: THE IMPORTANCE OF REST

So here you are finally starting a workout program or you've been working out pumping iron, body weight exercises, etc and want to push yourself to the next level. What's your plan? Go to the gym and impress everyone with how much weight you can bench press? Or do push ups to exhaustion?
How about doing split routines?

Probably like most guys you haven't thought much about rest. But you should. Because it's during periods of rest between workouts that your body repairs and rebuilds muscle. Too much time spent in the gym grunting and groaning as you try to do one more rep will do more harm than skipping a day and veggie out!

Especially as you get older, it's important to rest 2 or even 3 days between workout sessions. As I mentioned in my last blog I'm becoming increasingly aware of my body limits and the need for less intense workouts and plenty of rest. It's been 3 days since my last workout and I'm just beginning to feel better: less pain & fatigue.

I tend to be pretty stubborn and figured if I just push myself a little more eventually my body will adapt. I come from the generation that believed no pain no gain and pain is weakness leaving the body. Now that might be true when I was 18 or 20, but at 69+ it's become very clear that pain is not my friend and rest is really my best buddy.

So what do I plan to do? Very simple less intensive workouts and plenty of rest. Along with a diet with lots of veggies and lean protein. I'll expand on this plan in the future and report on my progress. For now I get some rest..

No comments:

Post a Comment