Tuesday, June 17, 2014

PSA HIGH - WHAT"S A GUY TO DO?

Yesterday, I got the results of my blood test. Everything was okay LDL a little high, but  the big red flag was that my PSA was 9.1 up from 5.4 the year before! AS we men get older our PSA levels (Prostrate Specific Antgen) increase along with a enlargement of the prostrate. There is no absolute normal levels or for that matter no absolute abnormal. However a spike from 5.4 to 9.1 is a concern as it might indicate prostrate cancer.

There are other factors besides cancer that could increase PSA levels: infection, enlarge prostrate and inflammations can also effect levels. Interestingly high HDL cholesterol counts can also cause a rise, which might be the what's going on with my count. (I'll talk about cholesterol in another article.)

There's also a lot of debate on the effectiveness of the PSA test and whether the benefits of the screening outweigh the risks and pain of follow up test and treatment.

The bottom line is I made an appointment with an Urologist to discuss the levels, causes and options.
Prostrate cancer is highly treatable when caught early and is also usually slow growing. So I intend to proceed cautiously with whatever option I take.

I'll keep you all updated.

No comments:

Post a Comment