Friday, February 1, 2013

BACK FROM THE HOSPITAL

Well it's been an interesting few days. Wed morning I passed out in the kitchen and awoke up on the floor surrounded by paramedics. A quick ride to the hospital and after some test and an overnite stay for observation I was sent home with a clean bill of health.

So what was the problem? Seemed my Vagus nerve missed fired and caused a Vasovagal Syncope. Yeah, I never heard of Vagus nerve either and certainly didn't know I had one.  Here's a definition from the Mayo Clinic.

Vasovagal syncope (vay-zo-VAY-gul SING-cuh-pee) is the most common cause of fainting. Vasovagal syncope occurs when your body overreacts to triggers, such as the sight of blood or extreme emotional distress. The trigger results in vasovagal syncope — a brief loss of consciousness caused by a sudden drop in your heart rate and blood pressure, which reduces blood flow to your brain.
Vasovagal syncope is usually harmless and requires no treatment. However, you can injure yourself during a vasovagal syncope episode. Also, your doctor may recommend tests to rule out more serious causes of fainting, such as heart disorders. http://mayoclinic.com

I didn't have any tiggers and never fainted before. So they put me on a treadmill for a stress test and drew blood several times I passed all test with flying colors. According to my doctor there really are no treatments for VasoVagal Syncope and I may never have another one. The good news is my heart and arteries are in great condition. I even took the tread mill up to 105% of my heart rate. Usually they only go to 80%, but I handle that so well they upped it to 105% or 160 beats per minute. Also I got my first ride in an ambulance. Very Cool.

So what did I learn?
    1. Don't hesitate to call 911. Fortunately my wife was right there and called 911 when I started to feel dizzy and became non responsive. ( A side note: Know the symptoms of a stroke.)
    2. We have a very good fire department which handles 911 calls and very competent and trained medics.
    3. Our local hospital, doctors, nurses and staff are very professional.
    4. Despite how good a shape you think you're in - stuff happens.
    
All that being said this event drove home to me how critcal it is to be in the best possible physical condition. Being in good shape gives you that added assurance/insurance that you are doing everything you can to prevent medical problems and the ability to bounce back fast from any injury and/or diesease.


No comments:

Post a Comment